Friday, August 27, 2010

Hindi hai hum (hindi is our mother tongue) …….. IS ITreally..??? Origin of ‘HINGLISH’ or as I say.. HINDIFICATION OF ENGLISH WORDS…!!


 After our independence, HINDI was declared to be the national language of our country. But this happened only in the paper, what came out in practice was much different.
                                               

Few days back I was copying hindi notes from one of my classmate, shalini, now shalini hails from a Hindi-medium school which means that she studied all the subjects at school level in Hindi…. Unlike me!!  I really presumed that she will be very good in Hindi.. But…. I was astounded to read her notes.. There were so many mistakes in spelling and basic grammar, she comes from a Hindi medium school (for god’s sake) and she is making such basic mistakes…. I did correct some and then I did point out to her some ,she was a bit embarrassed(any one will be.. including me if I was her) and then excused herself that ma’am was very fast while dictating.

                                  I have an ICSE schooling..ie English medium, hindi was taught to us as second language , we were made to study Sanskrit  only from class 5th-8th. During my results, my father always saw my Hindi paper first (unlike other parents who would go for maths , in my dad’s list it came 2nd). We come from Hindi speaking states, and my father is himself well-versed in this language.. oh! How my dad used to scold me about my bad handwriting and spelling mistake…(in Hindi language) I was good in Hindi grammar, pronunciation.. But not in spelling. Now in my college, Hindi is just a minor paper(but compulsory) . I was always good in English (relatively, of course) but that never made my dad proud…!!

I am not writing this to emphasize on my bad spellings in hindi…but this is not just my problem.. there are many Indians, irrespective of their educational backgrounds, who are not well versed in Hindi and well not even in English, it is really surprising to know.. that a common person( AAM ADMI,MANGO PEOPLE) do not really have a language .

In India an illiterate ,would also know 3-4 words of English, but there is no guarantee of proper pronunciation (neither in English nor in Hindi).. Infact so many people miss-spell and miss-pronounce even the word  ‘PRONUNCIATION’. we Indians today do not have a language .. Spain has Spanish, France has French and india..??


These are some picz with wrong grammar….






Today Indians have HINGLISH or what I like to call HINDIFICATION OF ENGLISH WORDS(HOEW) for eg. What-what things are important.?? Return back,
 Different-different things happening.. etc  these are the very common blunders which I hear people uttering every now and then...

For the urban kids nowadays.. speaking in English is kool.. while in hindi NAMAkool(worthless).  Today’s generation are not well versed in either of these languages perfectly, there is a new language now…HINGLISH!!!

Is it good bad or ugly..?? please give your opinion…. 

13 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi, I am Lisa, a fellow blogger from the US. Languages in India must truly be challenging. Working to be fluent in multiple languages in spoken aspects as well as written is admirable. I understand how your Hindification of English has come about but am saddened that the youth seem to have abandoned a native language. Great Great grandgrand parents on my mother's side left Germany to come to the US. Due to the time, my great great grandparent's abandoned everything of their German heritage to be all American. Thus, I never learned anything of that part of my heritage. Neither was I taught much about the Welsh or Scots background of my ancestors. The US is a big place but we seem to share more across borders. I long to know more about my background and languages hold a key to much of that. I come from a very small family with no living elders so I feel much is lost. One's personal relativity to such will affect how people (not in India) vote on whether this language dilemma is good, bad or ugly. I love getting a personal take on such issues from your side of the world. I look forward to reading more of your work, ideas, opinions. Welcome to the virtual continent of the blogosphere!

anki said...

@lisa thnu 4 readin ma blog.. it fascinates me evry tym dat hw we ppl 4m different cultures n background have so much in common
lemme me giv u mre info:
IN india it's way more complex ONE NEEDS 2B WELL VERSED IN ATLEAST:
1.own mother tongue
2.in English b'coz it is almost an universal LANG.
3.hindi as it is also a major mode communication and it is a major subject in schools i remembr in school hw we had a student who had come from a foreign country and, to survive had to learn hindi
4. if any1 is staying in their own homeland then well n gud othrwise thy need 2 learn atleast few words of the local lang.
5 muslims had 2 learn urdu in school
sanskrit is the most ancient lang.and i wrote abt in ma blog.. v were nvr encouraged to speak in sanskrit in school it ws jst treated as a subject.

evn i hav punjabi roots though i dont knw hw 2 write n speak in punjabi... i did try it once bt i ws really bad in it:(

Lisa said...

Languages in countries outside the US is more complex for people. When we traveled to Morocco and Egypt I was fainated as to how many languages and dialects the people used. No formal schooling for most. In order to conduct a daily business in trae many languages and dialects were needed. With my education and career as a teacher, those humble, gracious people realigned my global thought. I love the comment part of blogging. There is such an opportunity to learn so much from so many. I appreciate your time to share more information.

JudyH329 said...

The older I become, and the less I interact with people outside of work, the fewer words I use and know how to spell, so it's not just a problem in India. I think people in every region ends up with their own shorthand of language. Such as in the south we say y'all rather than you all or you. Interesting post. Over from gaelikka's to say hello.

Rummuser said...

Any language is a tool to communicate. As long as both or all the parties in the loop understand the communication, I do not see any problem. Unfortunately, in academics, one needs to be careful about grammar and spelling for obvious reasons as the subject is the language and it is not a means of communication. One has to strike a balance between the two.

Now, the language that you use, what perhaps is now called twitterese or sms texting language, to someone of my generation is offensive. But, as long as I can understand and comment on your comments, Jai Ho!

anki said...

@Rummuser u caught me right ... yeah ppl of my gen. use lotzz of lingo..sometimes i have seen my classmates writing notes in such language when the teacher dictates them,i use lingo only on machines ie computer and cell i didn't mean to offend anybody but i am not v gud @typing yet..:( i personally avoid the use of such language...


as for the lang.it seems you are okay with this HINGLISH as your point is v.correct about the two way communication..

but the problem is that people are not good in either of these lang. its like being JACK OF ALL TRADES AND MASTERS OF NONE.>>>

for a better academic approach a person should be well versed in a lang. well and that is english i will be v surprised to know if a person can have a great career (in technical field)with only proper knowledge in hindi and not english though it can happen vice-versa.
if this had been the case then why did our rulesr made hindi our national lang...!!!!

anyway thanks for reading and commenting on my essay..:)

SuE said...

Hey! thanks for visiting my blog! its lovely to hear from you...
you blog is awsome as well..!

India is a magnificent country....

anki said...

@sue thnx 4.. reading mine.. u do hav a gr8 blog..!!

SuE said...

thanks! hey! you mind if i send you a friend request on facebook??

anki said...

kooll..:)

MelRoXx said...

I can totally relate to this post, D! Love it!!!!

Maria said...

I always thought the 'aam admi' was a bit strange. The man in the street in English becomes mango man?

anki said...

@gaelikaa hehehe...lolzz.. actually umm.. if v convert "aam" in english technically wont it becme dat"mango" lolzzz..:))

ps :dat ws actually 4m d movie "love aaj kal"